Pritchard Francis Curtin Work Integrated Learning (WIL) Program
Pritchard Francis are partnering with Curtin to offer a promising Civil Engineering Undergraduate the opportunity to complete work experience in a consultancy environment. This initiative supports students in achieving their academic goals, whilst providing them with mentoring to launch their professional career and set them up for success.
What to Expect
- The successful student will develop and apply technical engineering skills and knowledge acquired throughout their Undergraduate Degree in a professional engineering consultancy environment.
- Be given an understanding of what the role of a civil and structural consulting engineer involves both in the office and on site.
- Learn about the company structure and operation of Pritchard Francis and gain exposure and experience in most facets of the consulting practice, while working alongside engineers, drafters, administration and site personnel.
- Pritchard Francis consistently have many projects at varying stages of completion, both in the office and on site. As part of the placement, the student will be given the opportunity to work in a productive manner on these projects, whilst also gaining practical engineering experience hours that are essential for graduation.
See what our 2022 students have to say…
The experience at Pritchard Francis has been extremely valuable to my development as an engineer. I have been given the opportunity to witness first-hand each step of the design process by being involved in a range of projects. The program allowed me to apply the skills and knowledge which I had learnt at university to various real-life projects.
One of the most important opportunities was being given the chance to attend site inspections on several large-scale projects each in different stages of construction. Allowing me to make the connection between what I have learnt and calculated at both Pritchard Francis and Curtin, to real-life applications. In addition, I was given the opportunity to fly to Broome for a week to observe the different ways in which engineering takes place and how climate conditions effect the various solutions you may need to come up with.
The team have a broad range of expertise and everyone was eager to share their knowledge and provide me guidance whenever I needed it.
Ayden Wedge, Curtin WIL Program Winner 2022
During my time at Pritchard Francis I was exposed to a wide array of projects and sites where I was given the opportunity to interact with a number of individuals from the different subsectors of the industry. This contributed to the development of my understanding of the responsibilities of a civil and structural engineer.
The program provided an internal insight into the professional attitudes consistently upheld by the employees at Pritchard Francis which were expressed during internal discussions between colleagues as well as external exchanges with clients and contractors.
By working alongside both senior and junior members of the team I was able to experience the company’s commitment to guiding and supporting the technical and professional skills of their teammates.
William Dorotich, Curtin WIL Program Winner 2022
Work experience will take place at Pritchard Francis' Subiaco office either during semester two 2022, or full time over the summer vacation period. During the term it is expected that the work experience will be two consecutive days a week, however this is negotiable. During the summer vacation period it will be full time Monday to Friday, and commence at the end of Term 4 university semester.
Who should apply?
- Passionate people interested in Civil & Structural Consulting.
- People interested in collaboration between Engineering and Building Information Modelling (BIM).
- Current drivers licence.
- Australian citizenship or permanent resident of Australia.
- Penultimate or final year of study in Bachelor of Engineering (Civil and Construction Engineering), or similar.
- Course Weighted Average minimum of 65.
What you need to apply
- Cover letter.
- 500 words statement, detailing:
- Your interest and passion for the field of civil and/or structural engineering.
- How the work experience would assist you in pursuing your career.
- Future career goals.
- Detailed CV including any previous vacation work details, Year 12 ATAR results (including subjects and exam marks, or equivalent), extra-curricular interests, achievements, awards, scholarships etc.
- Formal university academic transcript.
- Any references such as an academic, employer or personal.
The WIL Program offer may be withdrawn should the student defer from full time studies, transfer to another course/degree or University.
Applications for 2023/2024 are now OPEN
Curtin WIL Program Coordinator: Emily Long, (08) 9382 5111, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close 23 July 2023